Toggle menu

Permission to Deposit a Skip on the Highway - S.139 Permission

Find information about and apply for permission to deposit a skip on roads, pavements, off road footpaths and verges

Apply Online for Permission to Deposit a Skip

A licence for permission to deposit a skip on the highway is required to ensure that skips do not block access to property or apparatus within the highway, restrict visibility at junctions, accesses and crossing points, or reduce highway widths to an unacceptable extent.

You do not need a licence if you are putting a skip entirely on private land.

You should make an application to deposit a skip online, no less than five working days before the date you wish to deposit the skip on the Highway.

A fee of £57, plus £66 per week, is payable for this licence.

Please make sure that you are applying for the correct type of licence before you confirm payment. You should also check that the location is within West Berkshire (a map of the district can be accessed here). To cover our administration costs, we can generally only offer a 50% refund where licence applications contain errors or where applicants withdraw their application before it has been granted. Once an application has been processed and granted, we are not able to give refunds if you tell us you no longer need the licence.

Please note that only skip hire companies can apply for a licence.

Application Supporting Documents

To support your application, you are required to provide the following documents:

  • A copy of your current insurance policy
  • Receipt of your last premium payment

Your policy should indemnify West Berkshire Council to a limit of £5 million in respect of each and every third party claim, action, demand, expense and liability arising out of or by reason of anything done, or omitted to be done, in respect of depositing a skip on the Highway.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email