Report an Emergency Happening Now
Report an emergency during or outside of office hours
If there is a risk to life, call 999 immediately.
On this page:
- Report an emergency
- Report non-emergencies
- Other emergency contacts:
Our office hours are:
- Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 5pm
- Friday: 8.30am to 4.30pm
During these hours, please call 01635 551111.
Please note: you will be referred to the most appropriate service to respond to the emergency, including the Emergency Planning Service.
There is a limited service out of hours for emergencies only.
To report an emergency out of hours, please call 01635 42161.
You will be given a number of options; if you know the option, you can press that number immediately to save time. The options are:
- option 1: to be redirected for concerns relating to social care for adults and children or homelessness
- option 2: to be redirected for lost or found dogs
- option 3: to be redirected to car park issues
- option 4: to be passed to a call handler for emergencies only
Please only contact us in the event of an emergency, such as those listed below:
- major incidents - for example major accidents, significant flooding
- safeguarding concerns (social care)
- highways issues, including:
- fallen trees and other debris blocking or restricting roads or causing potential danger to road or footpath users
- traffic lights not working (please note: West Berkshire Council only manages permanent traffic lights, and some but not all temporary traffic lights) to find out more visit our roadworks page, here
- flooding of properties (inside the property, not in gardens), and roads
- emergency repairs to council-owned temporary accommodation (please note: tenants of properties should contact their Housing Association, landlord or agent)
Emergencies do not include:
- bins not being collected
- payments to the council
- fallen trees or debris that is not blocking or restricting roads or causing potential danger to road users or on private land
- noise complaints which are not related to council facilities or property
You can also contact some of these services directly out of hours, as set out below:
Reporting a lost or found dog
If your concern relates to a lost or found dog, please contact our Animal Warden service.
You can report non-emergency issues online at any time on our report a problem page, this includes reporting issues such as potholes, broken streetlights and flooding on a road.
If you want to report a non-emergency during office hours, you can also contact Customer Services.
Other emergency contacts:
If you think you have a gas leak, or can smell gas, leave the house and phone the National Gas Emergencies number immediately on 0800 111 999.
If you have a power cut, call the national power cut helpline on 105 to get up-to-date information. They should also be able to let you know when the power will be back on.
Alternatively you can check using Power Track (ssen.co.uk).
To report an incident (including flooding) on the M4 or A34, contact National Highways on 0300 123 5000. You can also report an issue on the National Highways website.
To report an incident (including flooding) on all other public roads in West Berkshire, please visit our report a problem page.
To find out more about traffic issues on the road network, check the National Highways 'Traffic England' website.
If a flood is happening now and there is a risk to life, call 999.
Please be aware that during severe weather, the emergency services will be very busy.
Where you report flooding depends on the location and cause of the flooding. We've listed who to contact in what situation below:
Report flooding on West Berkshire highways
For specific emergencies outside of our normal office hours, please use our out of hours contact details.
Our Highways team also provide emergency response to flooding by closing roads, setting up diversions, pumping flooded waterways, and providing sandbags to properties and communities threatened by flooded highways, where resources are available.
Report flooding on the M4 or A34
To report flooding on the M4 or A34, contact National Highways on 0300 123 5000. You can also report an issue on the National Highways website.
Report flooding from a main river
To report flooding from a main river, contact the Environment Agency through the Floodline on 0345 988 1188. You can also report flooding from sewers, water mains, rivers, sea, groundwater and private drains on the GOV.UK website.
To report flooding from a Thames Water burst water main or sewer, contact Thames Water Utilities on 0800 316 9800. You can also report problems on the Thames Water website.
To find out more about who to report to you can check the GOV.UK website.