Toggle menu

Licence for Hoarding - S.172 Licence

Find information about and apply for a licence for hoardings on roads, pavements, off road footpaths and verges

Apply Online for a Hoarding Licence

Consent is required to erect hoarding or other temporary structures on a public highway. This includes private streets where the public have right of access. Where erection of the hoarding requires excavation of the highway, a Road Opening Licence must also be obtained.

You don't need consent to place hoarding or temporary structures on private roads.

Every application is considered on an individual basis, and site specific conditions may be applied to ensure public safety. Please note that companies should apply on behalf of their customers.

You should make an application for a hoarding licence online, no less than seven working days before the date you wish to erect the hoarding on the Highway. 

A fee of £97 plus £55 per week is payable for this licence.


Application Supporting Documents

To support your application, you are required to provide the following documents:

  • A copy of your current insurance policy
  • Receipt of your last premium payment

Your policy should indemnify West Berkshire Council to a limit of £5 million in respect of each and every third party claim, action, demand, expense and liability arising out of or by reason of anything done, or omitted to be done, in respect of temporarily erecting a hoarding on the Highway.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email