Toggle menu

Care at Home and Care Agencies

Information and advice on care at home

On this page:

Where Can I Find Care and Support Services?

Where possible, we want people to be able to stay healthy, independent and receive support to stay in their own homes for as long as possible. 

Care and support is a term used to describe the help some adults need when they are unable to carry out their day-to-day tasks. Support at home from a carer or personal assistant is known as home care, home help or domiciliary care.

The Icon for pdf Berkshire Care Directory [3MB]  contains information on providers and agencies that can help people receive care and support at home. You can also view the information in this Berkshire Care Directory Autumn 2023 ebook.

The West Berkshire Directory also provides information on agencies that provide home care in West Berkshire.

You can find information about providers' standards of quality and safety on the Care Quality Commission (CQC) website.

Finding a Personal Assistant

You could employ a personal assistant. You can find reliable, vetted and approved care and support providers through our Support with Confidence scheme. You can read our Icon for pdf Are you looking for a Personal Assistant or Careworker? [966KB]  document to find out more.

You can also find a list of personal assistants on the West Berkshire Directory, here, or find helpful advice on the 'Help at Home from a Paid Care' webpage on the NHS website.

Please see our Care Needs Assessment and Eligibility webpage if you need advice and support in identifying what help you need.

Paying for Your Care

Read more information about paying for your care and funding your care as a self-funder, or get in touch with us for help and guidance.

Do I need an assessment if I'm organising my own care?

If you arrange your own care and support, you do not need to be assessed by the council. If you meet the eligibility criteria and we are funding your care, we must be involved in arranging it. 

Even if you are not eligible for financial help from us, and are therefore paying the full costs of your care, you may still contact us for advice and information.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email