Toggle menu

Planning application forms

Submit an application online or print forms and checklists.

We strongly recommend that you make your planning application online using the Planning Portal. Registration is easy and you can complete your planning application form, upload supporting documents and pay fees online by credit or debit card, or pay over the telephone.

However, you can also submit an application to us via:

You can find downloadable/printable application forms and checklists for each application type below.

Currently, 53% of submitted applications are invalid.

The most common reasons for an application being invalid are:

  • incomplete or missing CIL forms (see our guidance on submitting a CIL form 1 as part of a planning application)
  • incomplete or incorrect Certificate of Ownership
  • incorrect or missing fee
  • incorrect location/site plan including red line, OS license, and access to the nearest highway
  • incorrect plans including disclaimers ('Do Not Scale'), errors between both existing and proposed elevations and floor plans

We operate on a 'two strikes and out' approach to all invalid applications. This means that if an application is not valid after two attempts from the initial submission, we will not progress the application further and will return the application fee (if applicable) minus 25 per cent for the work completed by the Planning Registration Team.

Using both the Icon for pdf Local List of Documents [99KB]  and the specific checklist for your application will help you decide what else you should include in your submission. The local list includes the national standard requirements specified by central government and we have no discretion to change these.

You can find other useful documents, here.

Type of application (in alphabetical order):

Advertisement control application

The Application for Consent to Display an Advertisement should be used for proposals to display an advertisement or sign.


This application should be used where you want to make simple alterations to an approved scheme after planning permission has already been granted.

Certificate of lawfulness

Find certificates of lawfulness for both proposed and existing use or development.

Full application (including change of use)

The application for Full Planning Permission is for making a detailed planning application for development under Section 62 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended), excluding householder developments.


This application is for proposal to alter or enlarge a single dwelling, including works within the curtilage (garden area) of a single dwelling.

Listed building and conservation

Find forms for listed building consent (on it's own or with a certificate of lawfulness) and demolition in a conservation area.

Minerals and waste

This form is for applications relating to mineral extraction or minerals related infrastructure and/or waste management proposals.

Modification or discharge of planning obligation

This form is to apply for a modification or discharge of planning obligation if there is a Section 106 legal agreement attached to the application.

Notifications prior to commencing work

These applications are used to notify the council about the commencement of works for certain development types.

Outline planning permission

This application form is for applying for outline planning permission - for reserved matters see the 'reserved matters and conditions' page.

Prior approval and notification of change of use

These applications are for prior approval and change of use.

Tree works and hedges

Find planning application forms for works to trees and hedgerow removal.

Reserved matters and conditions

An Application for Approval of Reserved Matters should be used after an outline planning permission has been granted.

Submitting CIL form 1 as part of a planning application

Information about when the 'CIL Planning Application Additional Information Requirement (PAAIR) Form' is required as part of a Planning Application submission.

Useful documents when making a planning application

Other useful documents and forms that you may need when making a planning application.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email