Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) Programme
About the HAF programme for 2022 as well as videos from our 2021 programme
There are free holiday club places available for children and young people eligible for free school meals. This opportunity is provided as part of the government's expanded Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) programme being delivered across West Berkshire, which also covers the Christmas holidays.
The aim of the HAF programme is to support children to eat more healthily, be more active over the school holidays and have a greater knowledge of health and nutrition, as well as being more engaged with school and other local services.
The scheme provides enjoyable activities and nutritious meals for primary and secondary school aged children who are eligible for benefits-related free school meals.
Getting Involved - HAF 2022
Children will be able to access sessions throughout the holidays, at no cost to you. The sessions will include a variety of fun and enriching physical activities, including sports, music, arts and other exciting opportunities to learn and develop skills, alongside a nutritious meal each day. Nutritional resources will also be made available to children attending the sessions.
The holiday club places will be available for the equivalent of at least four hours a day, four days a week, six weeks per year: one week in the Easter holidays, four weeks in the summer holidays and one week in the winter break.
To find out if your child is eligible and how to book a place, please contact your child's school.
Please find a list of schools and providers that offer HAF provision during the school holidays below:
- Berkshire Youth - Moorside Centre, Thatcham
- Hungerford Youth - secondary
- Calcot Schools - MNR Coaching, code: CalcotHAF22
- Lambourn Primary - MNR Coaching, code: LambournHAF22
- The Winchcombe Primary - MNR Coaching, code: NewburyHAF22
- Springfield Primary - Funtastic Kids, contact: Bookings@funtastickids.co.uk
- Falkland - Funtastic Kids, contact: Bookings@funtastickids.co.uk
- Hungerford Primary, code: Innov8
- Thatcham Park Primary - Get Active Sports
- Long Lane- SCL, code: HAFLongLaneXmas22!
- Francis Bailey - school led
- Garland Primary School - Usports, code: uSportsWestBerksHAFWinter2022
- Bradfield College - Play Sports, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Northcroft Leisure Centre - Play sports, contact: email@example.com
Please note that your eligibility for HAF holiday places will be independently verified upon booking. Sharing codes is not allowed.
If you have any queries regarding the HAF programme, please call our HAF Coordinator Hannah Lee on 01635 519084.
In addition to this programme, families who are eligible for Universal Credit may be able to claim back up to 85 per cent of their childcare costs, dependent on the club attended. To find out more, please visit the 'Help paying for childcare' page on the GOV.UK website.
West Berkshire Council is working with local schools, voluntary and community organisations, and childcare providers to provide the HAF programme. The free places are funded by the Department for Education.
Hundreds of children took part in HAF 2021 over the Easter and summer holidays across West Berkshire. You can view our videos of the Easter and summer programmes using the links below:
- Hungerford Primary School's video
- Whitelands Park Primary School's video
- Holiday Activities and Food Programme - Summer edition video
Advice on Living and Eating Well
As part of the HAF programme we are sharing information and advice for parents on how to live well and eat well:
- Healthy sustainable diets - videos and recipes from the British Nutrition Foundation
- Full Time Meals - cook along on Facebook with chef Tom Kerridge and Marcus Rashford
- Healthier families - find easy ways to eat well and move more, recipe ideas, 10 minute shake ups and much more
- Eat them to Defeat them - recipes and activities