Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) Programme
About the HAF programme for 2023 as well as videos from our 2021 and 2022 programme.
There are free holiday club places available for children and young people eligible for free school meals. This opportunity is provided as part of the government's expanded Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) programme being delivered across West Berkshire, which also covers the Christmas holidays.
The aim of the HAF programme is to support children to eat more healthily, be more active over the school holidays and have a greater knowledge of health and nutrition, as well as being more engaged with school and other local services.
The scheme provides enjoyable activities and nutritious meals for primary and secondary school aged children who are eligible for benefits-related free school meals.
Check out our videos at the bottom of this page to learn more about what to expect at our HAF camps!!
Getting involved - HAF 2023
The holiday club places will be available for the equivalent of at least four hours a day, four days a week, six weeks per year: one week in the Easter holidays, four weeks in the summer holidays and one week in the winter break. See thefor full details.
Please find a list of schools and providers that offer HAF provision during the school holidays below.
Christmas HAF is now closed. Check back soon for Easter 2024 availability!
- Thatcham Park - Get Active Sports
- The Winchcombe School - MNR (CODE: NewburyHAF23)
- Calcot Schools - MNR (CODE: CalcotHAF23)
- Birch Copse School - Next Thing Education (Registration Required)
- St Nicholas Primary School - Next Thing Education (Registration Required)
- Pangbourne Primary School - Next Thing Education (Registration Required)
- Long Lane Primary School - Let's Leap (CODE: LLHAF)
- Bradfield College - Playsport Pre Christmas sessions
- Bradfield College - Playsport New Year sessions
- Northcroft Leisure Centre - Playsport Pre Christmas sessions
- Northcroft Leisure Centre - Playsport New Year session
- Springfield Primary School - Funtastic Kids (FULL)
- Francis Bailey - School-led only
- Waterside Centre Newbury - Berkshire Youth - Secondary Aged
- Hungerford Youth Community Centre - please contact Hungerford Youth directly
Please note that your eligibility for HAF holiday places will be independently verified upon booking. Sharing codes is not allowed!
In addition to this programme, families who are eligible for Universal Credit may be able to claim back up to 85 per cent of their childcare costs, dependent on the club attended. To find out more, please visit the 'Help paying for childcare' page on the GOV.UK website.
West Berkshire Council is working with local schools, voluntary and community organisations, and childcare providers to provide the HAF programme. The free places are funded by the Department for Education.
For queries related to Free School Meals, please contact the dedicated Free Schools Meals team.
If you are a provider looking to apply to deliver HAF provision, please contact the HAF Coordinator Hannah Lee email@example.com to discuss.
HAF 2021, 2022 and 2023
Hundreds of children took part in HAF over holidays across West Berkshire. You can view our videos of the Easter and summer programmes using the links below:
- HAF Summer 2023
- HAF Summer 2023 Tech Camp
- Hungerford Primary School's video
- Whitelands Park Primary School's video
- Holiday Activities and Food Programme - Summer edition video
Advice on living and eating well
- Healthy sustainable diets - videos and recipes from the British Nutrition Foundation
- Full Time Meals - cook along on Facebook with chef Tom Kerridge and Marcus Rashford
- Healthier families - find easy ways to eat well and move more, recipe ideas, 10 minute shake ups and much more
- Eat them to Defeat them - recipes and activities
- Free meals for families