Toggle menu

Commercial Type Vehicle Permit Scheme (Household Waste Recycling Centres)

For use at Newtown Road and Padworth Lane Household Waste Recycling Centres for residents who only have access to a Commercial Type Vehicle

Paper permits were replaced by online permits on 28 February 2022.

Your commercial type vehicle must be registered for an online permit to gain access to our household waste recycling centres. You can register for an online permit via My Account.  


Click here to access My Account


Please note: we are only changing how we issue permits to access our Household Waste Recycling Centres. We are not changing the rules around which vehicles qualify for which type of permit, or the criteria to qualify for a commercial type vehicle permit. You can find this criteria in our Icon for pdf Household Waste Recycling Centres - User Guide [2MB] .

You can read more information about the new online permits here.

You can also find out more about the temporary one-day pass, here.

On this page

We have operated a permit system since September 2016 to prevent the deposit of commercial or trade waste at the sites. We also feel that it is unfair to ask West Berkshire Council tax payers to fund a service for residents living in other Local Authority areas.

Commercial Type Vehicles 

If the only vehicle you have registered at your address for which you pay council tax to West Berkshire Council is a restricted vehicle (as described in Icon for pdf our Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) User Guide [2MB] ) and you have no suitable alternative mode of transport for taking your household waste to a HWRC, you may be eligible for a Commercial Type Vehicle permit.

These are typically vehicles registered with the DVLA as a vehicle used for the carriage of goods, having a maximum mass not exceeding 3.5 tonnes (N1).

In addition, the Council defines these restricted vehicles as those which fall into any of the below categories:

  • Are designed to carry goods
  • Have no rear windows (this means rear windows which are side facing)
  • Have no rear seats
  • Have an open back
  • Have a back which is separate to the main cab area
  • Is a car-derived van
  • Has any company sign writing or livery, including cars
  • Has a gross vehicle weight (GVW) which exceeds 3 tonnes

Please note that this list not exhaustive.

There are no restrictions on how frequently you can visit our centres using a Commercial Type Permit. However, we do advise that you make the most out of each visit to minimise the number of journeys you make to our centres. We have produced a map of Icon for pdf Newtown Road [5MB]  and Icon for pdf Padworth Lane [7MB] to assist you with loading your vehicle before you visit.

We monitor the use of our centres to ensure that they are only being used for the disposal and recycling of household waste. You may be questioned by site staff if they suspect that you are disposing of trade, commercial or business waste. You may also be requested to complete a household waste declaration form before you are permitted to deposit your household waste. 

You still need to book an appointment before you visit, and we will still only accept Household Waste

If you do not qualify for a Commercial Type Vehicle permit, you may be able to use our temporary one day pass.

Click here for information on our Car permit scheme.


How to Register

To register for a Commercial Type Vehicle permit, your household will need to login or set up a My Account and then register your vehicle details and provide supporting documents. 

The process is very quick and simple. Once you have logged in to your My Account, you will need to upload copies or photos of the following documentation during the application process:

  • An official document which identifies you as a resident of West Berkshire (proof of address), ie, a utility bill or council tax bill
  • Both inside pages of the Vehicle registration form or V5

This information is important as the Commercial Type Vehicle permits are vehicle registration-specific. This registration is linked to the address for which you pay your council tax, so we need to check that this is correct before we can issue a permit. 

Upon receipt of your application and the relevant documentation, the Council aims to process it within 15 working days.

If your application is successful, you will be notified by email and your permit will show in your My Account. Any cars previously registered against the address for a permit will be withdrawn.

So long as you update or confirm your details at least once a year, your permit will not expire. We will send you annual reminders by email to make sure your information is up to date. 

To start, you will need to login or create a West Berkshire My Account. It’s very quick and easy.

Then simply complete the Register for an Online Recycling Centre Permit form.

The status of your permit will instantly show in your My Account and you will receive an email with your successful registration.

Before you visit our Recycling Centres remember to book an appointment.

When you arrive at our recycling centre, your vehicle will be recognised by the cameras to allow you access.

I fyuo move house or change your vehicle remember to update your details in your my account.

Households who don't have access to the internet can either ask friends or family to register on their behalf, or they can call our customer service team on 01635 519080.

Please be aware that it may take up to 15 working days following receipt of your request for assistance over the phone to set up your permit. Residents are kindly requested to only call if they cannot do it online or do not have a friend or family member who can assist them. Please note that our phone lines are very busy and we would prefer to prioritise helping vulnerable residents.

For more information please read our New Online Recycling Centre Permits: Your Questions Answered.


Non-residents who want to use West Berkshire HWRCs

Non-residents are not able to use any Commercial Type Vehicles or hire vehicles to access our Household Waste Recycling Centres or dispose of asbestos within West Berkshire. 

Since 2 August 2021, residents living outside of the West Berkshire District boundary (non-residents) are able to access both of our HWRCs (at Newtown Road and Padworth Lane) in a car, as described in our Icon for pdf Household Waste Recycling Centres - User Guide [2MB]  by paying £9 per visit upon arrival.

If you are not a resident of West Berkshire and have questions regarding waste disposal, please contact your local council. You can find your local council on the GOV.UK website.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email