Toggle menu

Housing Benefit Overpayments

What happens if we've paid you too much Housing Benefit?

If your Housing Benefit does not accurately reflect all of your circumstances, you may be paid too much. We will normally recover this money from you, so it's important that you check that we have the correct information about your personal circumstances as listed on the decision notices sent to you. 

If you require more detailed information regarding the circumstances we have used in the calculation of your benefit, please contact us to request a 'statement of reasons'.

When you Icon for doc notify us of a change in your circumstances [792KB] , we may amend the amount of benefit to which you are entitled. If this results in an overpayment of Housing Benefit we will write to you.

Contact the Benefits Team promptly, in writing (by letter or e-mail), if:

  • anything appears incorrect on your decision notice
  • your circumstances change
  • you would like a statement of reasons to be sent to you

If you are also claiming Council Tax Reduction, the amount of Council Tax you pay may also be affected.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email