Toggle menu

Supported Living

Information about supported living and whether it's right for you

On this page:

Is Supported Living Right for You?

Housing is often a matter of personal choice, as individuals have different needs. If it's difficult to manage living at home, there are ways you can get help. There are lots of possibilities to explore and many places you can get advice and more information from.

West Berkshire Council want to support people to stay well, safe and independent in their own homes. However, there may come a point when staying at home is no longer the best option. For some people, supported housing or extra care housing can be good choices that can help them stay as independent as possible. 

You can find out more about the Extra Care Housing Schemes available in West Berkshire on our Extra Care Housing page. Alternatively, West Berkshire Council's 'Shared Lives' scheme may be suitable helping you to live independently in the community whilst being supported by a shared lives carer.  

If you need a little more support to cope at home, supported living accommodation may be the best option for you. This means living as a home owner or as a tenant. Some supported living homes or flats are shared by 2 or more people with particular disabilities or needs, like people with mental health problems or learning disabilities. 

In a supported living service, you will have your individual support and care plan that will specify how you will be helped to live independently.  Properties are suitably adapted and you will have your own bedroom, but sometimes you may share a kitchen and bathroom.

Why Choose Supported Living?

Supported living is designed to help disabled people, who are eligible, to live independently in their local community.  Support is focussed on helping you to increase and/or maintain your independent living skills at their maximum level.  Supported Living is appropriate for you if you want or need to live on your own or to share with others.  You have to share the responsibilities with housemates like cooking, cleaning and paying the bills.  In supported living accommodation the housing provider and support provider are separate.

To get an idea of the types of property that become available, you can look at the photographs of typical properties available from Sovereign Housing.

You can find details of local supported living schemes on the West Berkshire Directory.

Mental Health Supported Accommodation

For West Berkshire residents suffering Severe and Enduring Mental Health issues, Sovereign Housing and Richmond Fellowship offer supported living accommodation.

What Do I Do if I'm Interested in Supported Living?

If you would like to see if supported living is right for you, West Berkshire Council's Adult Locality teams will need to carry out an assessment of your needs to see if you are eligible. 

To request information and advice for yourself, or on behalf of someone else, you can contact Adult Social Care on 01635 503050 or use our Adult Social Care online enquiry form.

Is Home Ownership For You?

HOLD - Home ownership for people with long-term disabilities

If you have a long-term disability, the HOLD scheme in England could help you buy any home for sale on a shared ownership basis (part-rent/part-buy). You could buy a share of your home and pay rent on the remaining share.

Older people's Shared Ownership

Older people's Shared Ownership works in the same way as the general Shared Ownership scheme, but you can only buy up to 75 per cent of your home. Once you own 75 per cent, you won't have to pay rent on the remaining share.

Housing Options for Older People (HOOP)

The Elderly Accommodation Counsel works with HOOP to advise people struggling to make the right housing choices in later life. Further information is available along with the HOOP online tool, which offers suggestions for dealing with those difficult decisions. You can also speak with an advisor.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email