Toggle menu

Post-16 SEN Home to School Transport

Transport for post-16 Special Educational Needs (SEN) students between home and school or college


Eligibility for transport assistance for post-16 students (aged 16 to 25) with a Statement of Special Educational Needs, Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan or Learning Difficulty Assessment, attending a resourced or special school or further education college, is assessed in accordance with our  Icon for pdf Home to School Transport Policy 2022-23 [636KB]  and our Icon for pdf Home to School Transport Policy 2023-2024 [399KB] .


You will need to apply for post-16 SEN transport assistance each academic year, so that we know whether you wish for assistance to continue or you would prefer to make your own alternative transport arrangements.

You can apply for Post-16 SEN transport assistance online.


Parents, carers or students will need to pay a contribution towards the transport assistance:

  • For the 2022-23 academic year, the contribution is £840
  • For the 2023-24 academic year, the contribution is £930

Rates for future academic years are to be decided.

If you are eligible for assistance, an invoice will be sent to you for the contribution payable for the academic year (or, if you are applying for a Personal Transport Budget or mileage allowance, the contribution will be deducted from any payments). Invoices can be paid in monthly instalments, on request. 

For assistance for the academic year 2022-23 or 2023-24, please ensure payment (or payment of the first instalment of an agreed plan) has been made.

Low Income

For low income families, you may also be able to make an application for a bursary (financial assistance) to the educational establishment your child attends. Please contact the school/college for further information and an application form.

If your school/college is unable to assist and you are entitled to free school meals or maximum levels of Working Tax Credit and are struggling to meet the contribution for the council's Post-16 SEN scheme, you can apply for financial assistance through the council. In these circumstances, please complete a Stage 1 Transport Appeal, attaching evidence of your circumstances.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email