Toggle menu

Housing Advice: Older People

Information and advice on housing options for older people

If you are homeless, threatened with homelessness within 56 days or concerned about your housing situation, the council can provide advice and assistance. Please email and we will contact you to arrange an appointment.

If your enquiry is urgent, you can speak to an officer by calling 01635 519 530 and choosing option 2. Our hours of service are: Monday to Thursday - 8.30am to 5pm, Friday - 8.30am to 4.30pm. If you have been made homeless outside of these hours, please call the emergency duty team on 01344 351 999.

On this page:

Adult Social Care

If you are unable to stay in your accommodation due to on-going support needs, the Adult Social Care team at the Council may be able to advise or support you. 

You can find information and contact details on the Adult Social Care section of our website.

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered housing gives older people the independence of having their own flat. with the security of having an alarm system and a warden. The flats are usually small self‐contained units or single rooms in a complex, which often has a communal social area.

It is also possible to find sheltered housing to rent or to buy. The sheltered housing staff should check on you every day and be able to assist you in an emergency. However, they would not be expected to provide care or do things such as shopping.

To apply for sheltered housing you will need to join the common housing register. You will need to be over 50 years old to be eligible. Sheltered properties become available to bid on every week.

To join the housing register and bid for properties, please visit the Homechoice West Berkshire website.

Alternatively, you can contact the Housing Allocations Team on 01635 519 530, choosing option 1.

Extra Care Housing

Extra care housing is similar to sheltered housing in that the accommodation usually consists of individual, self-contained properties, each with their own front door. However, the level of personal care available with extra care housing is much higher, and is arranged according to need.

Extra care schemes are designed to enable independent living, and include features such as on site care 24 hours per day, an emergency call system and adaptations to meet tenants' needs.

To find out more, please see our Extra Care Housing Schemes webpage.

Directory of Services

There are council services, charities and private support organisations who also provide care and support services to older people in their homes, including services for those who are not eligible, or do not wish to access social services support. 

You can find more information on the West Berkshire Directory.

Home Improvement and Adaptations

If you feel that your current accommodation does not meet your needs, and you require adaptations within your home to improve your day-to-day life, you can request a visit from an occupational health therapist.

This service may be available through our Adult Social Care Service, if you are eligible for assistance. For more information, please visit our Adult Social Care Advice webpage.

You can also access assistance and information about adaptation services by contacting our Home Improvement Agency.


Priority can be awarded on the common housing register for social (housing association) tenants looking to move from larger to smaller homes. 

If you are looking to downsize, please contact the Housing Allocations Team on 01635 519 530, choosing option 1.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email