Toggle menu

Supporting People with a Learning Disability

Helping to find support for people with learning disabilities

We have social care staff who can provide support to people with a learning disability.

First, we'll have a conversation about the best way forward in your situation. This may involve a discussion about resources in your community that might be helpful. It will also include consideration of your strengths, things you can still do independently, and where your family, carers or wider community can help.

The conversation we have, may include looking at your care and support needs against national eligibility criteria.

Contact Adult Social Care as a first step.

How We Can Help

We can help by offering:

  • expertise, knowledge and experience
  • information and advice and connecting you with other services
  • routine reviews to ensure that care arrangements are still meeting your needs and are of an acceptable quality
  • legal expertise and advice, and where appropriate, mental capacity assessments and best interest assessments
  • opportunities to work with Health professionals, including:
    • Community Learning Disability nurses
    • Learning Disability physiotherapists
    • Psychologists
    • Psychiatrists
    • Speech and Language Therapists
    • Dieticians
  • help at home to support people as necessary with personal care and essential daily living
  • supporting carers to enable them to continue in their role; we recognise the value of providing carers with good support
  • exploring NHS Continuing Health Care eligibility
  • specialist Occupational Therapists who can provide equipment and assistive technology, to maximise people's ability to live independently
  • Safeguarding adults at risk - we work with other agencies to prevent the abuse of adults at risk and investigate any concerns

 Our Icon for pdf Policy Statement for People with a Learning Disability [864KB] describes the type of support you can expect from us.

Where an individual receives social care services funded by West Berkshire Council, we will offer a financial assessment to help you understand any charges for your care

We'll also offer advice when someone lacks the capacity to manage their affairs and finances.

Transition from the Children with Disabilities Team

Many of the individuals we work with will have received help and support from the Children with Disabilities Team.

We work closely with the Children with Disabilities Team as someone transfers to Adult Social Care, to make sure that the care they need isn't interrupted.

Our Local Offer provides further information about the transition process.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email