The Heritage in West Berkshire Report
The work being done to highlight, promote and understand heritage assets in our parishes (2015)
The wealth of historic environment features in our District, and how they're protected and promoted, are explained in the Heritage in West Berkshire report.
Getting a copy of the report
Copies of the report have also been sent to parish councils, and local history and archaeology societies.
What's in the report?
The report includes:
- information about the Designated heritage assets within West Berkshire's 63 parishes in 2015
(heritage assets are defined in the National Planning Policy Framework [2021: 67] as 'a building, monument, site, place, area or landscape identified as having a degree of significance meriting consideration in planning decisions, because of its heritage interest. Heritage assets include designated heritage assets and assets identified by the local planning authority [including local listing].')
- photographs from each of these parishes of some of the many buildings, sites, landscapes and finds of interest
- news of our work at Shaw House, West Berkshire Museum, and within our Archaeology and Conservation teams
- recent discoveries from our partners at the Berkshire Record Office and the Portable Antiquities Scheme
- updates on national projects undertaken within our area
- the contact details and recent activities of 30 community groups and societies engaging with local history and archaeology
- a progress report on the
- summaries of over 80 archaeological investigations carried out in West Berkshire between 2010 and 2015, and news of important recent research by individuals