Toggle menu

Get extra funding for your childcare provider

Additional money from the government for children in Early Education

Early years pupil premium

Your childcare provider may be able to get extra money from the government to spend on supporting your child's learning and development.

Some childcare providers are missing out, as they don't have the right information to pass on in order to claim these funds.

If you think you're eligible (check the list below), or if you're not quite sure, your first step is to speak to your childcare provider. They will ask you to complete a registration form and will apply for the funding through our Early Years Service.

Please note that this is a separate process to the Pupil Premium for Schools, which is aimed at older children.


Your child might be eligible if you receive any of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit run-on (the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Child Tax Credit (available provided your family is not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income of no more than £16,190 before tax)
  • Universal credit

Funding might also be available if your child falls into one of the following groups:

  • they have been looked after by the local authority for at least one day
  • they are adopted from care
  • they have left care through a special guardianship arrangement
  • they have left care and are subject to a child arrangement order

Disability Access Fund (DAF)

If your 3 to 4 year old child is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) their childcare setting is eligible to claim the 'Disability Access Fund' (DAF). This is currently paid as a lump sum of £615 per year. Please note: if your child attends more than one childcare setting, only one setting may claim the DAF funding. 

All you need to do is show your childcare setting proof of DLA claim for your child. They will then ask you to complete the relevant section of the parent declaration form and claim the funding via West Berkshire Council.

The funding can be used for any extra educational materials, staff training, equipment or reasonable adjustments to improve the experience for the child in the setting, or for the benefit of children as a whole attending the setting. Speak to your child's childcare provider to find out more.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email