Toggle menu

Chargeable Development Types Under Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

Development types that are liable under Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

The following types of development are liable for CIL:

  • any new dwellings (including replacement dwellings), regardless of their size or tenure
  • new residential buildings (such as extensions and annexes) where the gross new build floor area comes to more than 100 square metres
  • new retail development where the gross new build floor area comes to more than 100 square metres
  • a change of use from non-residential use, when the building in question has not been occupied in its lawful use for a continuous period of six months in the previous three years (the end point of the three years is taken from the date on which Planning Permission is granted)
  • Icon for pdf permitted development including prior approvals [193KB] over 100 square metres - for more information see step 3 of the CIL process

The following table sets out which types of development may be liable for CIL, and whether relief or exemption from CIL might be available.

CIL Chargeable and non-chargeable development

Development type

Liable (Yes/No)

Relief available (Yes/No)


Structures which are not buildingsNoNo 
Buildings into which people do not normally go or go only intermittentlyNoNo 
Conversions from single dwelling to two or more dwellings (no increase in gross internal area)NoNoAs long as it is used as a single dwelling house
Conversions from a single dwelling to two or more dwellings (increase in gross internal area)YesNo 
Change of use or conversion where there is no increase in floor area or any extension where existing floorspace has been in continuous lawful usePossiblyNoDepending on whether existing floorspace has been in continuous lawful use
Small developments of less that 100 square metres and no new dwellingsNoNo 
Less than 200 square metres of new mezzanine floorspace within existing buildingsNoNo 
Mezzanine in new buildingYesNoIf part of a new dwelling
Affordable housing (C3 and C4)YesYes 
Residential extensions, including basements (C3 and C4)YesYes 
Residential annexes (C3 and C4)YesYes 
Self builders - residential (C3 and C4)YesYes 
Charitable development - residential (C3 and C4)YesYes 
Mobile homesYesYes 
Log cabinsPossiblyPossiblyDepending on connectivity to services and 'movability'
Buildings associated with mobile homes/caravans (C3 and C4)YesNo 
Retail unit not in use (previously A1 to A5)YesNo 
Retail unit in use (previously A1 to A5)YesNo 
Business development - offices (previously B1a to B1c)NoNo 
Business development - industrial (B2)NoNo 
Business development - warehousing (B8)NoNo 
Hotels (C1)NoNo 
Residential institutions (C2 and C2a)NoNo 
Community and all other usesNoNo 


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email