Transport Service Changes or Disruption
Planned public transport changes, disruption information and contacting operators
On this page:
- Road Closure in Eastbury and East Garston
- World Car Free Day Bus Travel
- Service changes in July 2022
- Other Public Transport Services
- Travel Guidance and Face Coverings
- Services on Bank Holidays and During Travel Disruption
- Contacting Local Bus and Train Operators
From Monday 12th to Friday 16th September Newbury Road in the Parish of Lambourn is closed between 9.30am to 3.30pm between Long Hedge and Rogers's Lane. This affects the Newbury & District 4 service which is unable to serve Eastbury and East Garston on the following journeys:
- The 09:40, 11:31 and 13:31 departures from Lambourn
- The 10:37, 12:37 and 14:23 departures from Newbury
For these journeys the route of the 4 bus service will change to Hungerford Hill, The B4000, Hungerford Hill to Lambourn Square. Mill Lane in Lambourn will continue to be served on all journeys.
Thursday 22 September 2022 is World Car Free Day. You will have even more reason to leave your car at home as there will be free return bus travel across the district.
Following on from free bus travel last Christmas, over Easter, and for the Platinum Jubilee celebrations, bus journeys starting or ending in West Berkshire will be free all day.
There are no time restrictions, so you can use the bus to get to work or school, for a day trip, or even to meet family or friends for a bite to eat.
As well as being able to get around West Berkshire, perhaps taking in some of the outstanding scenery, free bus travel is available to Newbury, Thatcham, Reading, Basingstoke and Swindon.
This initiative has been developed by West Berkshire Council in partnership with Reading Buses, Newbury & District, Thames Travel, Stagecoach, Going Forward Buses and Horseman Coaches. Free bus travel is available on these operators' services all day on Thursday 22 September 2022.
As well as free travel for journeys starting in West Berkshire, operators will also allow passengers to return from places further afield free of charge for the first time. Concessionary Bus Passes will still be accepted on the day.
The full list of of routes is as follows:
Services that operate entirely within West Berkshire:
|1a/1c||Newbury & District||Newbury to Thatcham|
|2||Newbury & District||Newbury to Wash Common/Tesco|
|3||Newbury & District||Newbury to Hungerford|
|4||Newbury & District||Newbury to Lambourn|
|5/5a/5c||WBC Connect||Newbury to Downlands Villages|
|6/6a||Newbury & District||Newbury to East/West Ilsley|
|8||Newbury & District||Newbury to Tesco, Greenham and Pigeons Farm|
|9||Newbury & District||Newbury to Racecourse|
|41||WBC Connect||Theale to Thatcham/Newbury|
The following routes will offer free bus travel in West Berkshire, whatever the destination and will offer return travel back to West Berkshire:
|The LINK||Stagecoach South||Newbury to Basingstoke|
|Jet Black 1||Reading Buses||Newbury to Reading|
|Lime 2/2a||Reading Buses||Mortimer/Burghfield to Reading|
|7/7a||Stagecoach South||Andover/Burghclere to Newbury|
|Sky Blue 15||Reading Buses||Theale/Calcot to Reading|
|Sky Blue 16||Reading Buses||Purley on Thames to Reading|
|Yellow 26||Reading Buses||Calcot to Reading|
|Royal Blue 33||Reading Buses||Thurnham's Farm to Reading|
|44||WBC Connect||Beenham to Thatcham via Tadley|
|46/48a/X46||Stagecoach West||Hungerford to Swindon|
|47||WBC Connect||Lambourn to Swindon|
|103/103a/103b||Newbury & District||Newbury to Greenham Business Park|
|133||Going Forward Buses||Goring to Wallingford via Streatley|
|143||Thames Travel||Upper Basildon to Reading|
|154||Horseman Coaches||Beech Hill to Reading|
Free Bus Travel will not be offered on the Hungerford to Marlborough service.
From Monday 25 July 2022 there will be changes to some local bus timetables.
A summary of these changes:
- 5 service operated by West Berkshire Council Transport Services - the term-time only service will now operate during school holidays,
- 47 operated by West Berkshire Council Transport Services - will now operate an extra afternoon journey between Lambourn and Swindon on Saturdays and during school holidays,
- Jet Black 1 operated by Reading Buses- some minor changes to timetables,
- 26 operated by Reading Buses - minor reductions in frequency over summer period,
- 33 operated by Reading Buses - peak time frequency reduced to every 20 minutes.
Further information about changes to Reading Buses services can be found on their website.
Please ensure you have checked the latest timetable information available, the travel guide will be updated shortly.
National Express are running coach services. See the National Express website for more details. At the present time National Express are not calling at Newbury Wharf.
Trains services that operate in West Berkshire maybe subject to change, often at short notice, updated information can be found on the Great Western Railway (GWR) website.
The Government has removed all domestic legal restrictions relating to COVID-19.
There is no longer a legal requirement to wear a face covering, but the government suggests that people continue to wear one in crowded and enclosed spaces, where you may come into contact with people you do not normally meet.
If you are planning to travel by public transport on bank holidays, during bad weather or during other periods of disruption, please use the Traveline journey planner which has regularly updated information.
We also post available updates on the Connect West Berkshire Twitter feed.
You can also check with the bus or train company you will be using to make sure they are running. Please see the contact details listed above.
Road Closures and Bus Stop Suspensions
At times essential utility work and highway improvement works can cause disruptions to bus services. This can include bus stop suspensions and services having to divert from scheduled routes.
Details of any works which could have a major impact on West Berkshire Council contracted services will be posted on this page.
You can find details of the major bus and train operators in West Berkshire, and links to their website and contact details, below:
- Connect - services 5, 5a, 5c, 41, 44, 47 and H1; or follow Connect on Twitter
- Going Forward Buses - find their contact details on the Going Forward Buses website, here - you can also find Going Forward Buses on Facebook
- Great Western Railway (GWR) - find their contact details on the GWR website, here - you can also follow Great Western Railway on Twitter
- Newbury and District - find their contact details on the Newbury and District website - you can also find Newbury and District on Facebook and follow Newbury and District on Twitter
- Reading Buses - find their contact details on the Reading Buses website, here - you can also find Reading Buses on Facebook and follow Reading Buses on Twitter
- Stagecoach - find their contact details on the Stagecoach website, here - you can also follow Stagecoach South on Twitter
- Swindon's Bus Company - find their contact details on the Swindon Bus Company website, here
- Thames Travel - find their contact details on the Thames Travel website, here - you can also find Thames Travel on Facebook