Toggle menu

Housing Advice: Substance Misuse

Housing advice for those struggling with substance misuse

If you are homeless, threatened with homelessness within 56 days or concerned about your housing situation, the council can provide advice and assistance. Please email and we will contact you to arrange an appointment.

If your enquiry is urgent, you can speak to an officer by calling 01635 519 530 and choosing option 2. Our hours of service are: Monday to Thursday - 8.30am to 5pm, Friday - 8.30am to 4.30pm. If you have been made homeless outside of these hours, please call the emergency duty team on 01344 351 999.

What Can the Housing Service Do To Support You?

The Council will try to prevent your homelessness by helping you to remain in your current accommodation, if that is possible. If it is not possible, we will explore alternative housing options with you, such as securing accommodation in the private rented sector or supported accommodation.

Your Homelessness Prevention and Relief Officer will arrange a full housing options assessment. They will make necessary enquiries to find the most suitable housing options for you and what duties we owe you. They will create a Personalised Housing Plan with you. This sets out the actions that you and the Council need to take to address your housing situation, and any other support requirements that are identified.

It is likely that the housing options available to you will include private rented sector accommodation, supported accommodation or applying to the common housing register.

Help to Address Alcohol or Drug Use

A number of services work closely together to provide support with substance misuse. You can find out more about the support available to you on the Public Health and Wellbeing team's alcohol and drug support webpage.

As part of your housing options assessment, your Homelessness Prevention and Relief Officer may refer you to relevant services to address substance misuse.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email