Appointments at HWRC: Your Questions Answered
Frequently asked questions about our HWRC bookings
- How do I cancel or reschedule my appointment?
- When are we reopening the recycling centres?
- Can I just turn up at the recycling centres?
- What do I need to do before I visit the recycling centre?
- What waste materials can I take to the recycling centres?
- What do I need to do when I get to the recycling centre?
- There are no time slots available, when will more be available?
- What if I turn up early or late to my appointment?
- How many times can I visit a recycling centre?
- I don't have a purple/orange permit, can I visit in my van?
- I don't live in West Berkshire, can I visit your recycling centres?
- Can I still use/get a one day temporary permit for a van/hire van?
- Why did we close the recycling centres?
If you would like to cancel or reschedule your appointment, you will need to use the cancellation link on your appointment confirmation email sent from email@example.com .
The link will allow you to cancel your appointment or reschedule for another time if available.
The government has issued new guidelines regarding the reopening of recycling centres. In line with this, we are reopening our two recycling centres from Thursday 14 May 2020.
There are restrictions and some changes to the normal rules of the sites - you can view these on our recycling centres webpage, here.
No, you must book an appointment online to visit the site. Anyone turning up without an appointment will not be allowed entry.
There will be a limited number of appointments available between 9am-6pm, every day.
You can book an appointment online. Simply choose a time slot and complete the required information. You will need to enter the car registration of the vehicle you will be using to visit the site.
We expect both recycling centres to be very busy. Before you travel to one of our recycling centres, please ensure you:
- Have booked an available appointment
- Check to see if all waste materials can still be taken to the site - if there are is an issue with disposing or recycling of a type of material, we may have to stop accepting it
- Consider the site layout when loading waste into your car
- Check travel times and any restrictions in place
- Have your permit, or ID and proof of West Berkshire address with you
- Have a copy of your booking confirmation with you (either a print-out or on your phone)
- Are aware that only one person leaves the car while on site - Exceptions may be made if you have large/heavy items that require more than one person (but no more than 2 people) to handle. Please notify site staff upon arrival if you require 2 people to leave your vehicle.
Rubbish and recycling must only be taken to the recycling centre if it cannot be stored temporarily at home safely (without causing risk of injury, health or harm) or disposed of safely by other means such as through the bulky waste service, online selling sites or retailer take-back services.
We will accept materials as normal (apart from the items intended for reuse, such as bicycles and furniture, as this service is not currently accepting any items) - you can view a full list of what you can recycle at our recycling centres, here.
If there is an issue with disposal or recycling of certain materials, we may have to temporarily stop accepting those materials without notice. We are working hard to ensure all materials can still be taken for recycling or disposal but you can check our 'What Can I Recycle at a Household Waste Recycling Centre' webpage for updated changes or restrictions.
- Please be patient if you have to queue
- Listen to site staff for instructions on using the site safely
- Ensure that only one person leaves the car while on site - Exceptions may be made if you have large/heavy items that require more than one person (but no more than 2 people) to handle. Please notify site staff upon arrival if you require 2 people to leave your vehicle.
- Maintain social distancing of two metres
We are expecting the demand for appointments to be high, and some residents may be disappointed if they do not get an appointment straight away. There will be a limited number of time slots available on each day for each site to allow us to maintain social distancing measures and traffic flow.
Please do not turn up earlier than your agreed time slot, as you will not be given entry to the site and will be turned away. You will have to re-queue and may then miss your actual allocated time.
We have removed the restriction of one visit per household per week to allow residents more flexibility to use the recycling centres.
No. You need a valid permit to visit in a van or any other restricted vehicle as per our apply for a permit, but please be aware that there is a delay in issuing these permits due to the current pandemic.. You can
From 2 August 2021, residents living outside of the West Berkshire District boundary (non-residents) are able to access both of our Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs), at Newtown Road and Padworth Lane, by paying £7 per visit upon arrival. You need to book an appointment before you visit.
The types of cars that will be accepted are shown on page 6 of our, and are the same as for the HWRC car permits.
Please note: non-residents are not able to dispose of asbestos within West Berkshire and are unable to use any Commercial Type Vehicles (CTV) or hire vehicles to access the site.
If you are not a resident of West Berkshire and have questions regarding waste disposal, please contact your local council. You can find your local council on the GOV.UK website.
Yes, please read the information on our temporary permits webpage before visiting.
Newtown Road and Padworth Recycling Centres were closed when 'lockdown' measures were first put in place. A visit to a recycling centre was not considered an essential journey, so the sites were closed in line with the lockdown rules.