The First Step, Next Step Scheme (Equity Loan)
An equity loan deposit scheme for first time buyers
First Step, Next Step is a joint scheme between West Berkshire Council and Newbury Building Society, to help local buyers who want to own their own home but do not have sufficient financial resources available.
Am I Eligible for the First Step, Next Step Scheme?
You may be eligible if you:
- do not own, or have an interest in, any other property
- live or work (minimum of 16 hours per week) in West Berkshire
- have a minimum household income of £20,000 and a maximum of £60,000
- you have a minimum 5 per cent deposit
- you are eligible for a Newbury Building Society mortgage
If you already own a property you may also be eligible in certain circumstances.
For further information on the scheme, please contact the Home Improvement Agency.
As long as you meet the eligibility criteria above, you can apply by completing the First Step West Berkshire online application form. Applications can be in single or joint names.