Toggle menu

Educational Psychology for Early years

The Educational Psychology Service (EPS) has a dedicated Educational Psychologist (EP) specialising in early years, who provides advice, support and guidance to settings and works in partnership with professionals from within the local authority and other agencies working in the early years community.

As a service we can offer:

  • Specialist training to settings via the Early Years Forum
  • Early years ELSA training and supervision
  • Training for staff including whole setting
  • Video Interaction Guidance (VIG)
  • Video Enhanced Reflective Practice (VERP)
  • Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training
  • Supporting the transition to school

EPs also work with individual children in early years settings.

When should the EP become involved with individual children?

An EP may become involved following requests from a number of different sources, for example: pediatricians, general practitioners (GPs), health visitors, pre-school/ nursery/school staff and other professionals, when a child's development, disability or medical needs indicate that they are likely to or may have SEN.

Parental consent for EP involvement should be sought prior to any EP involvement.

What do EPs do within the early years age range?

  • Individual assessment (observation, play, formal assessment) with children to identify their strengths and weaknesses
  • Consultation with teachers, key workers, parents/carers and other adults who work with children or young people
  • Training for staff and parents/carers
  • Encouraging wellbeing in early years settings:

How to request EP involvement

Early years settings and professionals can complete the EY Request for Involvement form. It is important that a parental signature is obtained prior to EP involvement and the completed form should be sent to the EPS Administrator, Hazel Loomes.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email