Toggle menu

Commercial Type Vehicle Permit Scheme

Permits for residents whose main vehicle is a van or another Commercial Type Vehicle

To stop trade and commercial waste being illegally deposited at our recycling centres, we have introduced a permit scheme for Commercial Type Vehicles.

Commercial-type vehicles are defined as those that are designed to carry goods, not people. They have no rear windows and/or no rear seats, and/or an open back, or a back which is separate to the main cab area.

This is different to the residents permit sent to households in our district.

If the only vehicle your household has access to is a Commercial Type Vehicle as described in our Icon for pdf user guide [2.1MB]  you can apply for a Commercial Type Vehicle permit online.

Commercial Type Vehicles are defined as those that meet one or more of the following descriptions:

  • are designed to carry goods
  • have no rear windows (this means rear windows which are side-facing)
  • have no rear seats
  • have an open back
  • have a back which is separate to the main cab area
  • are a - Car Derived Vans
  • have any company sign writing or livery (this includes cars)


If the only vehicle you have registered at your home address (your main residential address, for which you pay Council Tax to West Berkshire Council) fits one or more of the Commercial Type Vehicle descriptions above, and you have no alternative mode of transport, you will need to apply online for a commercial type vehicle permit.

You will need to provide copies of the following paperwork to send with your completed application:

  • your latest Council Tax bill
  • V5/V5C (vehicle registration certificate inside page showing the vehicle and registered keeper's details)

The easiest way to send us copies of your paperwork is to photograph them with your smartphone, and upload them to the form. We can accept scanned copies too.

Alternatively you can Icon for pdf download a PDF application form here [87.48KB] .

Please note: due to coronavirus (COVID-19), there is a delay in issuing permits and responding to applications.

Why is this information important?

The Commercial Type Vehicle Permits are vehicle registration-specific. This registration is linked to the address for which you pay your Council Tax, so we need to check that this is correct before we can issue a permit. 

Permits for Commercial Type Vehicles will expire after two years and are subject to the Icon for pdf permit scheme Terms and Conditions [142.36KB] .

If approved for a Commercial Type Permit you still need to book an appointment before you visit.


Temporary Permits

If your household has access to a car(s), you can still visit our Recycling Centres in a Commercial Type Vehicle using a temporary one day permit.

You can also access our recycling centres in a hired van using a temporary one day permit.

You can use the temporary one day permits for up to a maximum number of 6 visits per year.

Before you visit one of our sites, you must book an appointment online (if using a hire van please enter HIRE VAN as the vehicle registration). Once you have booked an appointment you must then complete a complete a declaration of waste form online before your visit or you will not be allowed entry on to the site.

For terms and conditions on hired vans and temporary permits please read Icon for pdf our user guide [2.1MB] .



For a list of vehicle restrictions, and advice on Commercial Type Vehicle permits, please read the Icon for pdf scheme User Guide [2.1MB] .

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email