Information and Advice
There are a number of organisations that provide a wide range of information, advice and guidance to support you in your role as a carer. Some of these are shown below but there are many more which can be found in the Carers Information Booklet or on our Social Care Information Point.
Berkshire Carers Service offer information, advice and support to carers across Berkshire, including a freephone Helpline 0800 9885462, an interactive website with online chat facility, and support from volunteers. They also provide advice and support about benefits and financial assistance, help arrange respite care and carers breaks.
Crossroads offer a support service for carers such as providing transport for doctor, hospital or other appointments. They also offer a free service of up to 8 hours to attend appointments or a Rapid Response Service providing care up to 48 hours in an emergency. Help is provided to all ages, regardless of disability. Phone number is 01635 30008
Help with transport and getting about if you find it difficult to use public transport. Telephone number 01635 49004.
- Volunteer Car and Driver Scheme provides transport to appointments of all kinds across West Berkshire.
- Newbury Handybus Scheme takes groups of people on shopping trips and other excursions
- Newbury Shopmobility provides wheelchairs and scooters for people to us in Newbury
The Citizens Advice Service helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice. Telephone number 0844 477 9980
Other Useful Organisations
The following organisations provide a range of information and advice:
Help from West Berkshire Council
If you have any queries please contact Adult Social Care.
Out of hours contact 01344 786543
West Berkshire Council offers:
- Help to complete a carers assessment
- Carers grants to support you in your role as a carer, including respite breaks
- Information and advice about services, benefits and finance, equipment including telecare, and housing related services
- Training for informal carers