Search, View or Comment on a Planning Application
Once a submitted application is valid it will be available for public inspection. This page advises how to search for, view and comment on planning applications
Viewing the plans in person
The planning reception at the Council's Market Street offices have copies of all applications currently being determined.
Viewing the plans online
For help locating plans online, please see How to find planning applications online [5Mb]
View or Comment on an Application allows you to view details of planning applications being considered by the Council including the plans (and amended plans) as well as some planning history. You may also view the weekly list of applications submitted.
Letters of representation and consultations are also available here until a decision is taken on the application.
Copies of decision notices issued since December 2005 are also available. For recent applications, decision notices can be viewed shortly after they are issued.
The consultation stage
All applications submitted are advertised in 3 ways;
- An orange site notice will be erected by the Council on or close to the site
- Nearby neighbours will be sent a letter informing them of the application (not all surrounding properties will always be consulted so please look out for the site notice)
- Brief details of the application (site, applicant, description and application number) will usually be listed in the local media
How to make a comment
Anyone interested in a planning application can make representation to the Local Planning Authority by submitting comments online using View or Comment on an Application, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to the Head of Planning and Countryside. Please ensure that the application number is provided with your comments so that they can be processed quickly. You may still submit comments by email to Planapps@westberks.gov.uk if the application is yet to be determined, even if the date for comments has expired on the online record.
Please read the information about Your Personal Data before submitting comments to the the Planning Department. Any comments made on an application (including personal details such as phone numbers) will be placed on the planning application file, which is a public document and may be seen by Councillors, the applicant and members of the public. They will also be published on this website. If you require your personal details to remain confidential and not to be displayed on the website, please follow the instructions in Your Personal Data.
Issues that can be taken into account
Planning Officers are only able to take note of comments relating to relevant planning issues. These include:
- Possible conflicts with planning policies for the area
- The height of a proposed building and whether it would overshadow neighbouring properties to an unreasonable extent
- An increase in noise, disturbance or in the level of traffic that would be harmful (this should relate to the proposal itself and not to building works)
- The appearance of a proposed building in relation to neighbours and the area
Issues such as the loss of a view or the devaluation of property are not considered to be valid reasons for objecting to a planning application.