► Mobile Site

info@westberks.gov.uk (01635) 42400
Market Street, Newbury, RG14 5LD

► View More Services


Getting help in a crisis

You should always call the emergency services straight away on 999 if you have a serious emergency. However, there are many situations where calling 999 is not appropriate but there are other alternatives that are just as helpful.

Image of someone pressing Emergency Call Button

Adult Social Care
Contact the Adult Social Care for help and advice.
For out of hours emergencies contact the Emergency Duty Team.

Emergency Services
For health emergencies that are life threatening and need immediate medical attention call 999. Otherwise you may choose to use one of the other services available for health emergencies that occur out of normal working hours.

This page explains the support that may be available to you in an emergency and things you can do to prepare for a time when you may be unable to care - for example, during illness.

Concerned about someone you know!
If you feel that you are being abused or know a vulnerable person that you believe is at risk, then it is important to tell someone. You can contact any of the organisations listed on this page. They will take your concerns seriously and will work with the vulnerable person to make sure they are safe.

Lady writing
Dealing with an emergency is always a challenge, but there are things you can do to make it easier. This page explains some options that are available to help carers, the elderly or people with disabilities prepare for an emergency so that the emergency services have all the information they need to support them and those they care for.

From 1 April 2013, the Department for Works & Pensions are abolishing Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants. West Berkshire Council is introducing a new scheme from 1 April 2013 called the Communities Grant, this will replace the community care grant.

This page was created on 26/01/2006 and last updated on 07/10/2011. - Print this page.
Share This Page