Volunteer as a Governor
This page contains information on how to become a school governor.
WHO ARE GOVERNORS?
Governors are ordinary people who have an interest in the education of children and are prepared to volunteer to work alongside Headteachers, school staff, Governors and pupils to improve standards in West Berkshire schools.
WHAT DO GOVERNORS DO?
Governors help in the management of a school. This includes:
- Discussing the vision and aims of the school and preparing plans and policies
- Acting as a Critical Friend to the school, asking questions, supporting the Headteacher, challenging proposals, monitoring progress on a wide range of issues
- Being accountable and answerable to all stakeholders including parents, staff, pupils, the school community and both local and national government.
HOW CAN PEOPLE BECOME GOVERNORS?
There are several different routes to becoming a governor - it depends on the type of governor role you are eligible for.
If you are a parent or member of staff at the school you can be elected or appointed as a parent or staff governor.
If you want to become a foundation, community or a co-opted governor, you can phone or write to your local school (go to schools page link). The school will also be able to advise for all types of governor posts and any vacancies that you'd be eligible for.
If you want to be a local authority governor, you can apply using our application form, complete and return to Governor Services, West Street House, West Street, Newbury, RG14 1BZ Application for Appointment as A School Governor + Code of Conduct - January 2013 [153kb]
All you need is; an interest in children and schools, a common sense approach and be prepared to give up some time to attend meetings and support the school.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BEING A GOVERNOR?
Governors benefit enormously from the time and work they contribute to their school. You will;
- Develop new skills and strengthen existing ones
- Have access to training and development opportunities
- Become familiar with the Education system as a whole
- Help schools and pupils achieve tier goals
- Be giving something back to your local community
Contact the Governor Services Team in the first instance on 01635 519084/519047, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We can tell you more about the different types of governor, the level of commitment and which schools have vacancies.
Alternatively read our leaflet for more information - Join a Governing Body - leaflet [1Mb]