Governor Services Team
Who are we? How can we help you Govern your school?
Governor Services sits within the Access, Planning, Governance and Business Development Team, operating as part of Education Services within the Children and Young People Directorate.
Overview of Service
Governor Services provide a core service funded by the Local Authority allowing governors to access expertise on the full range of governance issues. The team ensures that governing bodies are kept up to date with their legal responsibilities and offers advice on educational and procedural issues to support the governing body's contribution to school improvement.
In addition, a comprehensive training and development programme is offered as a buyback subscription package (see the section on Governor development, training and e-learning).
The core Governor Service covers:
Instruments of Government
- Production and approval of Instruments of Government in consultation with relevant parties e.g. Dioceses as appropriate.
Recruitment and Retention
- Provision of appointment letters and welcome packs to new governors
- Provision of welcome pack and induction courses for new Chairs
- Provision of welcome pack and induction courses for new governing body clerks
- Recruitment and appointment of LA governors
- Recruitment and retention strategy to promote governorship in West Berkshire
- Maintenance of a governor database
Advice and Support
- General advice and support to governors about education law by telephone or email
- Dissemination of news and information via the governor e-magazine and website
- Resources e.g. model policies and terms of reference for committees
Schools causing Concern
Support for schools causing concern through training and development sessions for governors, audit of governing body paperwork, development of governing body processes and procedures, and recruitment of governors
Temporary Governing Bodies
Support with the governing body constitution for new schools and schools undergoing amalgamation or federation.