About Us & News
About Us - What we do, how we do it, recent news and what can we do for you?
What do we do?
Our primary role is to provide a high level of protection to the community in West Berkshire. We do this through enforcing a range of laws and providing advice and education. In addition to protecting the interests of consumers and reputable businesses we work with key partners such as the Police and Primary Care Trust to support a number of key priorities including:
- A Safer and Stronger West Berkshire
- A Cleaner and Greener West Berkshire
- Promoting Healthier Lives
- Promoting Independence
- Protection of Vulnerable People
How do we do it?
- By investigating complaints and allegations made to us
- By carrying out inspections of trade premises
- By sampling and testing items to ensure they are safe and meet quality standards
- By advising consumers and businesses in the community
- By working with young people in schools
- By ensuring the criminals do not benefit from their crimes and assets are seized
Recent court cases and sampling programmes
What can we do for you?
- With our partners at the Citizens Advice Service we can:
- Advise you on your rights and obligations and the options open to you
- Assist vulnerable consumers by speaking to traders on their behalf
- Provide training, talks and leaflets
- Deal with complaints about trading practice
- Investigate breaches of criminal law
- Offer advice if you are pursuing a complaint through the courts
- Redirect you to appropriate body if we have no power to investigate your complaint ourselves