► Mobile Site

info@westberks.gov.uk (01635) 42400
Market Street, Newbury, RG14 5LD

► View More Services


Comments, Complaints and Compliments

We have a commitment to respond to complaints about the Council or our services, and we want to be open and responsive, listening to your needs or concerns and addressing them as quickly as possible. We also aim to promote equal opportunities for all sections of the community.

Admin Department

As part of that commitment we have a pdf icon Corporate Complaints Policy [145kb] which we hope will encourage you to let us know what you think about us and the services we are providing.

You may make a complaint by letter, by email, or by using an online form or the pdf icon Comments and Complaints form [15kb]. We also have a review process so if you are unhappy with the response you receive to a complaint you can have it reviewed by a senior officer in the Council, or by the Local Government Ombudsman. View pdf icon A Guide to Help You - make a comment or complaint [241kb] .

If you think a Councillor has broken the authority's Code of Conduct, you can report them to the Monitoring Officer (a post held by the Head of Legal Services).

Complaints, whether about the Council, its Partners or Members, or about neighbour nuisance or similar, will be treated in confidence. However, we may have to share information with regulatory bodies such as the Local Government Ombudsman, or with the Information Commissioner if your complaint is about a Freedom of Information request.

More information on how to make a complaint to the Council or the Ombudsman is available under the website page 'Making a Comment, Complaint or Compliment' below.

If you wish to raise an issue which is not directly related to Council services or is not a complaint but a request for service - reporting a fault, advising of a change of address or similar, the pages 'Report A Problem, Fault or Emergency' and 'Online Forms ' may help you raise these issues quickly with the relevant service. Otherwise use the 'Contacting West Berkshire Council' link to find information about contacting the Council offices.

We have a commitment to respond to any expression of dissatisfaction with the Council itself or with its services through our corporate complaints procedure. We are also pleased to receive compliments, which will be passed to the service or staff concerned, and comments or suggestions; although we cannot always implement these we will pass them to the appropriate service.

Sometimes a complaint is not the most appropriate way to solve the problem.

Here you can find guidance on making a complaint about an elected Councillor's conduct.

The Social Care Service aims to provide the best possible care for people needing our help, within the limits of the resources available to us. However, we know that sometimes we fall short of your expectations in what we say or do. If this happens we want you to tell us - but we also want you to tell us when you are pleased with the help you have received.

The Youth Offending Team welcomes comments about the service we provide, and use these to improve our service.

West Berkshire Council has a set of Performance Standards for its handling of complaints, and monitors complaints to ensure the standards are being met and to identify issues or problems where we fail to meet our standards.

Comments, complaints and compliments assist the Council in reviewing and improving its services to its residents and other stakeholders.

 ▼ Contacts:
Head of Legal Services
Tel:01635 519422 Ext: 2422

This page was created on 05/01/2006 and last updated on 05/11/2013. - Print this page.
Share This Page