► Mobile Site

info@westberks.gov.uk (01635) 42400
Market Street, Newbury, RG14 5LD

Our new website launches 19th May. It's not finished yet but you can preview it here and let us know what you think.

► View More Services


About Council Tax

Council Tax is a local tax set by councils to help pay for local services like social care, community and environment. It applies to all domestic properties, including houses, bungalows and flats whether owned or rented.

Council Tax

What is Council Tax?

Council Tax is a local taxation scheme which allows Local Authorities to raise income to help pay for the services it delivers.  You can Check your Council Tax Band here.

What does Council Tax pay for?

Council Tax provides the major source of income for West Berkshire Council.  The range of services that the local authority delivers to the community is broad and specialised.  Some examples are:

An amount collected with your Council Tax also pays for Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service, Thames Valley Police Authority and your town or parish council.

The services offered by the Council aim make West Berkshire a healthy, safe and satisfying place in which to live and work.

You can find out more about how West Berkshire Council sets its budget from our web pages under Council and Democracy.

How much do I have to pay?

Council Tax is based on:

  1.  the property you live in (i.e. its banding based on the historic capital value of property at 1/4/91); and
  2. how many adults occupy the property; and
  3. the number of properties in West Berkshire that are chargeable dwellings; and
  4.  the amount of income that the local authority needs in order to deliver its services when added together with grants and other income received by the Council.

How do you work out who is liable to pay Council Tax?

An Act of Parliament tells us who should be treated as the liable person/s to pay Council Tax.   

The Council Tax levels for each year may be accessed through the downloads below.

Most domestic properties will be subject to Council Tax.  There will be one bill per property whether it is owned or rented.

See further information about Council Tax on our website from the linked pages.

This page was created on 04/01/2006 and last updated on 04/09/2013. - Print this page.
Share This Page