► Mobile Site

info@westberks.gov.uk (01635) 42400
Market Street, Newbury, RG14 5LD

► View More Services


Dog Warden Service

The Council contracts a Dog Warden service to collect and detain stray dogs. This page explains what to do if you have lost or found a dog and how to report issues with dog fouling.

West Berkshire Dog Warden Service

If you have found a dog

If you have found a dog, please contact SDK Environmental Ltd 08444 828321.

The Dog Warden will seize a stray dog in response to calls from members of the public. The dog will be kennelled while attempts are made to reunite the dog with its owner. If the dog cannot be reunited with its owner within 7 days it will be re-homed.

Dog owners are legally required to ensure their dogs have identification. 

The dog will be kennelled for up to 7 days at a cost of £12 per day. Upon collection of the dog from the kennels the owner will have to pay a seizure fee of £50 in addition to kennelling costs incurred before the dog is released. The seizure fee will be £95 if the dog is collected out of office hours. Dogs not claimed after 7 days are re-homed. The Council has a non-destruction policy so healthy dogs are never destroyed unless they present a danger to the public.

The Dog Warden cannot collect stray dogs on private land without the landowner's permission.

If you have lost a dog

If you have lost your dog please report it to SDK Environmental Ltd 08444 828321. You might also like to register details on the national database for lost and found Dogs.

Dog Fouling

The Dog Warden is responsible for patrolling and monitoring areas in the district in response to complaints regarding dog fouling until the problem abates. If a dog is found to be fouling in the street then the owner can be issued with a £50 on the spot fine under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005.

Should you have any information about the identity of owners who may be responsible, please contact SDK Environmental Ltd 08444 828321 to assist the Council to address this issue. Any such information will of course be treated in strictest confidence.

For information on dog fouling please take a look atdoc icon Dog Fouling Information [21kb].  The Dog Warden is not responsible for cleaning up dog faeces.  Dog waste bins are provided in a number of locations throughout the District. For further information about these, please contact Streetcare.

For case of animal cruelty or neglect please contact the RSPCA.

For dangerous and aggressive dogs please contact Thames Valley Police - Latest News.

 ▼ Related Pages:
 ▼ Downloads:
Dog Fouling Information

This page was created on 22/02/2008 and last updated on 28/10/2013. - Print this page.
Share This Page