► Mobile Site

info@westberks.gov.uk (01635) 42400
Market Street, Newbury, RG14 5LD

► View More Services


Freedom of Information (FOI)

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 provides a 'right of access' to recorded information. West Berkshire Council will make information which it routinely publishes easily available wherever possible. Other unpublished information may be made available on request.

Search Box

If you want to make an enquiry or ask for information you can phone, email or write to the Council (please provide your name and address in letters or emails- see 'Contacts').  You may find we have already published the information on our website, so try a search first using common terms (eg accounts) to see whether the information is readily available. If you want to see what requests we have answered you can view the Disclosure Log.

doc icon Charges made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 & The Environmental Information Regulations 2004 [26kb]

Please address your enquiry to the appropriate service, or to the Information Management Officer, Strategic Support. A Freedom of Information (FOI) request online form is available or you can download a Word version of the doc icon Freedom of Information request form [289kb].

Where can I find out more about the Freedom of Information Act 2000?

The Act provides a right of access to recorded information held by public authorities, creates exemptions from the duty to disclose information, and establishes the arrangements for enforcement and appeal. There is more information about your rights on the website of the Information Commissioner.

Environmental Information

Environmental information is subject to different legislation, the Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) 2004, which came into force on 1st January 2005 and replace earlier legislation from 1992. In practice this will probably make little difference if you ask for information from West Berkshire Council, but there may be slightly different timescales, fees and charges for requests for environmental information. Requests can be made by email, letter or fax, (as with Freedom of Information) and by telephone.

Where can I find out more about Environmental information Regulations 2004?

There is more information about your rights on the  Department for the Environment Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) website.

You have a right to complain to the local authority or directly to the Information Commissioner if you feel your request (whether under FoI or EIR) has not been handled correctly. View the Information Commissioner's complaints leaflet.

 ▼ Contacts:
Information Management Officer
Tel:01635 519747 Ext: 2747

This page was created on 30/11/2005 and last updated on 29/11/2012. - Print this page.
Share This Page